Monday, December 5, 2011

Blood Bowl: USA Bloodweiser League - Rookie Tournament

As I stated in my last write up, I've joined two new Blood Bowl leagues. The second of them being USA Bloodweiser league for season eight. Now season eight doesn't start until January, however a pre-season rookie tournament was created for us new coaches so that our teams could get a bit of experience before the regular season starts. I'm taking in a Khemir team named Necropolis Tomb Kings!

There are twenty six teams in a regular season, making up four divisions. However since this isn't the regular season, and it's a pre-season rookie tournament, there are only four teams total. I know it's pretty small, but still a good opportunity for me to build up some SPP for the regular season. There are two Vampire teams, a Halfling team, and my Khemir team. My first match as luck would have it (or not) would be against the Halflings!

Match Date: 12-02-2011


I'm up against two Treemen, and ten Halflings versus my four Tomb Guardians, two Blitz-Ra, one Throw-Ra, and five Skeletons. Now I had zero coins for inducements, however my opponent had 460K! Naturally he took a Halfling Master Chef (I can kiss my two re-rolls bye bye), and Star Player Zara the Slayer! Holy shit! Seriously? Now I had no experience playing a Khemir team, nor did I have any experience playing against a Khemir team, and I'm loosing all my re-rolls, and going to have to deal with Zara the Slayer as well? This wasn't starting out well for me.

I kept three Skeletons on the line, supported by my four Tomb Guardians on the sides of the pitch, each with a Skeleton, and kept my Throw-Ra, and two Blitz-Ra in the back field ready for the ball. I received the kick, and my Throw-Ra grabbed the ball. I formed up a cage with both my Blitz-Ra's, and one Skeleton on the right side of the pitch, while the nearest Tomb Guardian blitzed the closest Halfling hoping to open a hole, however all he got was a push. Two of my Skeletons on the line however busted through the opposing Halflings with ease, while a third rolled both down, yet managed to take a Halfling out of the game with a KO in the process.

My opponent, out for blood, moved Zara the Slayer, and four Halflings towards stopping my cage, a fifth Halfling also tried to move in, but failed a dodge, and was taken out by a Skeleton on the LoS causing a turnover, as well as being sent to the CAS box with an injury. With Zara, and her wall of Oompa-Loompa in my way, I ran my Throw-Ra to the left side of the pitch as it was wide open, however I didn't plan on going left. I'd actually planned on going straight up the middle of the pitch, but  I needed to make sure it looked like I was going left. If my plan worked, my opponent would move players to the left to try, and stop me as well as move Zara, and her pack of midgets down around behind my side of the LoS. If this happened, I could trap Zara, and her pack with the two Blitz-Ra, Skeleton, and Tomb Guardian, and on the left side of the pitch tangle up any players there with my other Tomb Guardians. It would be up to my Skeletons though on the LoS to open up a hole for me to charge through.

To my amazement, my plan actually worked. Zara, and her sausage fingered bastards became tangled up in a brawl with my two Blitz-Ra, Skeleton, and Tomb Guardian, while my other Tomb Guardians beat the crap out of the Treeman, and two Halflings on the left side of the pitch. My Skeletons of awesomeness on the LoS managed too open a nice hole for me to charge right though, they even took down a Treeman when my opponent rolled a both down! The only opposition I faced was a Halfling that was thrown by a Treeman, however he ended up face down, ass up in the dirt, while another Halfling blitzed to stop my Throw-Ra, only to be beaten down by one of my Tomb Guardians that was providing block support for the Throw-Ra. With nothing in my way, my Throw-Ra coasted into the end zone with ease scoring the touchdown, bringing the score to 1-0 in my favor.

 Throw-Ra Nesheb Heror Scores The First Touchdown

I kicked the ball off to my opponent, and it landed deep in his back field. He moved two Halflings back towards the ball, while the rest of his team remained on the LoS, and tried to battle it out with my team. Amazingly, my opponent left both the right side, and left side of the pitch wide open, and both my Blitz-Ra were able to get into my opponents back field right near the ball. Unfortunately for my opponent he cause a turn over with an attacker down roll, and I had a damn good chance to quickly score again as one of my Blitz-Ra was only four movement points away from the ball. I blitzed one Blitz-Ra into one of the defending Halfling pushing him further away from the ball, while the other Blitz-Ra blitzed into the Halfling near the ball stunning him for two turns! The ball was right in front of my Blitz-Ra, all he had to do was pick it up, and move two spaces to score another touchdown, and of coarse he failed causing a turnover.

During my opponents turn  he wasn't able to get anything near the lone Blitz-Ra, and the ball, and eventually caused a turnover himself by failing a dodge from a Halfling trying to move off the LoS. The ball was one space from the end zone, all my Blitz-Ra had to do was pick it up, and move one space. Once again, the son of a bitch failed to pick up the ball, and caused a turnover! Damn you Nuffle! 

 Blitz-Ra Can't Pick Up The Ball

I don't see how some coaches opt to start with no Throw-Ra when building a rookie Khemir team, because clearly Blitz-Ra can't pick up the ball. My Blitz-Ra had two turns ... two friggin turns totally unopposed to score an easy touchdown, but couldn't pick up the ball. This was seriously disappointing! With that utter failure on my Blitz-Ra's part, the first half of the game came to an end.

I kicked off to my opponent, and a bunch of excited fans rushed onto the field, and beat the crap out of both our teams, or should I say my team as most of my team was stunned on the ground, while only one of his Halflings was stunned. A Treeman on the LoS opened up onto one of my Skeletons, injuring him, and sending him to the CAS box. Zara the Slayer blitzed through my defense, and went straight after my Throw-Ra with her annoying Stab, but failed to do anything. Four Halflings then surrounded one of my Tomb Guardians that had been knocked out by the fans, and fouled him, along with a Treeman for the KO.

I then blitzed Zara the Slayer with a Blitz-Ra hoping to get her off my Throw-Ra, but rolled an attacker down, and caused a turnover. Zara the Slayer then stabbed my Throw-Ra, and got the KO. Four Halflings attacked a Tomb Guardian, knocking him down, then fouled him, stunning him for two turns. A Treeman then flung a Halfling down the pitch, and the little turd landed on his feet, running into the end zone for the touchdown bringing  the game to a tie at 1-1. What a horrible way to open up the second half of the game!

My opponent kicked off to me, unfortunately my Throw-Ra was still out cold from Zara the Slayer's earlier stabbing, so it was up to my Blitz-Ra to pick the ball up (see Blitz-Ra can't pick up ball from earlier), and score a touch down to win this game. Yeah I know, I'm asking for a miracle here! Amazingly my Blitz-Ra picked up the ball on his first attempt, and started running up the pitch and I formed a cage around him. My opponent then flung a Halfling down field, and scored a bulls-eye hitting one of my cage defenders in the head, getting the KO on him. I couldn't help, but laugh my ass off at this, as I'd not seen it done since playing Blood Bowl this entire time. My opponent then tried to foul another one of my players, but failed as the referee ejected the culprit from the game.

 Bulls-eye ... Blitz-Ra Knocked Out

I continued moving my cage up the left side of the pitch, even putting Zara the Slayer on her ass for two turns when she got in the way. My opponent then flung another Halfling, which landed right behind my Blitz-Ra carrying the ball. The Halfling went for the tackle, but failed, and only got a push. A push which actually put my Blitz-Ra into a better defensive position, and his Halfling in even more harms way as the two Tomb Guardians protecting the Blitz-Ra with the ball were now in a position to open a can of whoop ass on him, however the lucky little bastard was able to dodge out of the way. I then fouled Zara the Slayer with a Skeleton to keep her down, the Skeleton was ejected from the game, but it was worth it as it kept her stunned for another two turns.

Another Halfling was flung, only this time he landed way off target, and in a whole lot of pain as he got stunned from the hard dirt landing. A near by Halfling tried to blitz into my Blitz-Ra, but rolled a both down, and was overwhelmed by my Blitz-Ra's block skill. My cage continued up the left side of the pitch unopposed, because Zara the Slayer failed her GFI, and again I was in a position to score a touchdown. At this point though my opponent turned his Treemen into Halfling cannons, as Halflings were flung all over the damn field in an attempt to knock down the Blitz-Ra carrying the ball.

Thanks to a successful GFI made by my Blitz-Ra, and many, many, many failed Halfling flingings I was able to score the winning touchdown, bringing home a victory of 2-1. It was an intense game, I had no experience playing a Khemir team, or playing against one, had no re-rolls, was going up against a Star Player in my first game with this team, and I still pulled out the win! I was pretty proud of myself at this point. It was a great game, against a great opponent.

 Blitz-Ra Penhfe Sonankh Scores The Winning Touchdown

I didn't get enough winnings to purchase a second Throw-Ra like I wanted, however I did manage to level up a Blitz-Ra, and added tackle to his skills. My next match is against a Vampire team, a team I've never played against so it should be another intense match for sure!

Below are the Blood Bowl Manager league stats, there's not much there, but it's something at least. The Vampire vs. Vampire game is tonight at Midnight I believe. So hopefully they'll have their replay uploaded sometime tonight, and the stats will update along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment