Saturday, January 14, 2012

Blood Bowl: Ars Maledicta League - Cup/Match Day #6

Well it's week six of the Ars Maledicta League, and I'm going up against an Undead team called Ashes & Dust. With my loss against Night Dragonnes, I really wanted to win this game as I did not want to get onto a loosing streak, once you get on those, you never get off! Case in point, the Chicago Bears this year, we were all set for the playoffs, and thanks impart to injuries, and very inexperience backup Quarter Back, they got on a loosing streak that they just couldn't come back from, and the playoffs went straight out the window!

Match Date: 01-02-2012


I lost the coin toss, and my opponent opted to receive the ball, which was a bummer as I like to be able to punch first on the kick off. Anyhow, the ball landed, and my opponents Ghoul with Kick-Off Return was able to get just about right next to the ball. He then threw some blocks, knocking down two Black Orcs, and pushing the Troll back, stinking Mummies! However, the Kick-Off Return Ghoul failed to pick up the ball, and caused a turnover.

I stood my two Black Orcs up, and placed them next to the Troll, and not back in blocking range of my opponents Mummies. I figured I'd make him move to me if he wanted to punch! On the right, and left side of the pitch, I sent my Blitzers in, hoping to put some serious pressure onto the Ghoul, and ended my turn.

My opponent moved a few Zombies over to hinder my Blitzers, then picked up the ball, and moved his Ghoul into the center of the pitch, forming a cage with his two Mummies, and two Wights. I should have moved my guys back onto the LoS, because now that cage was going to be a pain in the ass to break through. A turnover was then caused when another one of my opponents Ghouls failed his dodge.

I opened up with a block from a Black Orc, knocking a Zombie down. I then decided if I couldn't break that cage, I was at least going to slow it down. A Lineman then threw a block, and rolled Both Down causing a turnover, just great!

My opponent opened up with a blitz from a Ghoul into a Black Orc, knocking him down. Then inched his cage up the center of the pitch, but staying out of block range of my Black Orcs, and Troll on the LoS. A Zombie then thew a block into one of my Linemen injuring him, nothing serious, but he was out of the game. That was going to hurt as I was already down a Black Orc due to injury from my previous game versus Night Dragonnes. A Zombie knocked down one of my Blitzers bringing my opponents turn to an end.

I didn't do much this turn except knock a Zombie, and Ghoul down from throwing blocks. I also reenforced my defensive line with an Orc Blitzer as well. I wasn't about to move my guys into block range of that cage, I wanted them to move to me, so I could throw the first punches into it.

My opponent moved his two Mummies into blocking range of a single Black Orc, then blitzed with a Wight knocking one of my Blitzers down, then moved that same Wight into block range of my Thrower who'd been playing it safe in the back field. He then moved his second Wight into block range of the same Black Orc that had two Mummies already on it, along with another Ghoul. He then positioned his ball carrying Ghoul in between a Zombie, and Wight, along with the two Mummies, he still had a decent cage going. I needed to do something here as that Black Orc was in serious trouble!

My Troll failed his Really Stupid roll, I moved a Black Orc into block range of a Wight which allowed my Thrower to push the Wight into two other Black Orcs with a block. A Black Orc then punched that same Wight, stunning him for two turns. I then moved two Blitzers into the back field to play safety in case that Ghoul decided to break out of that cage, and go for the end zone.

My opponent stunned a Black Orc, and Blitzer for two turns. Then marked one of my Blitzers playing saftey with a Zombie, and moved his ball carrying Ghoul to the ride side of the pitch, and around the brawl. He was now in position to score with ease if I didn't get my Blitzer playing safety over there to stop him.

Lucky for me, the Blitzer I had in range to stop the Ghoul from scoring was my Tackle/+1 MA Blitzer, so I figured I wouldn't have a problem stopping him. I blitzed into him, and rolled Attacker Down, figures! I used a RR, and then got a push. This pushed the Ghoul back into two Zombies for protection, as well as near a Mummy. I then tried to block one of those Zombies with a Black Orc, and rolled Both Down. Son of a bitch! You can already see what's going to happen here right?

My opponent blitzed his Mummy into my Blitzer that was on top of the ball carrying Ghoul, pushing him aside, and then marked that Blitzer with a Zombie as well for good measure. This opened a nice hole for the Ghoul to run right through, and be two squares away from the end zone totally unopposed.

I had one chance to try to stop that Ghoul from scoring. I needed to blitz with my Blitzer into the Zombie, and hope that he managed to dodge away from that Mummy as well. then move up to the Ghoul, and hope that he failed his dodge when trying to score. I rolled the dice, and scored a Attacker Down, used a RR, and rolled another Attacker Down. Mother fucker!

My opponent decided to throw a few blocks looking for some injuries but only managed a few pushes. He then moved a Wight into the end zone, and tried to hand off the ball to him for the touchdown, but failed to catch the ball, however a RR fixed that, and the Wight scored. The score was now 1-0 in my opponents favor in the top of turn seven.

My opponent kicked off to me, and I recovered the ball with my Thrower. Stupidly I did not put my +1 MA Blitzer on the line, as I could have ran him straight towards the end zone, and my opponent would have only had a Ghoul in range to stop him. With some lucky GFI's, and a long bomb pass I might have been able to score in those two turns before Half-Time. I threw out some blocks, knocking down two Skeletons (my opponent switched out two Zombies for two Skeletons, and I'm not sure why. Maybe a experienced Undead player could explain that to me?), and ended my turn in disgust because of the mistake I'd made.

My opponent opened up with a block from a Mummy that KO'd my Troll, just fucking great! He threw a few more blocks out there, but nothing significant happened.

It was now the bottom of turn eight, and I had no chance of scoring because of my earlier mistake, so I decided to throw a short pass to gain some SPP for my Thrower, however my Thrower fucked it up with a Scattered Launch. There was nothing more I could do, so I ended my turn, and it was Half-Time.

I was now receiving the ball, and lucky for me my Troll decided to wake up form his earlier KO, and start playing again. The kick was very short, so short that I had to form my Blitzer cage around the ball at the LoS on the right side of the pitch, and then make a successful GFI with my Thrower just to recover the ball! My Black Orcs opened up with their blocks, knocking down a Skeleton, and pushing another. My Troll who'd just woken up from his earlier KO, must have woken up pissed, as he decapitated the Zombie in front of him! I then blitzed a Lineman into the Skeleton that was pushed earlier hoping to open up more room for my cage, only to get another stinking push!

Rotgut Skaveneater Kills A Zombie In His Debut Game 

My opponent opened up with a Zombie attempting to block my Troll, but rolled a Both Down result, KO'ing the Zombie, and causing the turnover.

I stood my Troll back up, then moved my cage up the right side of the pitch totally unopposed. I then threw some blocks, and moved some players tying up all of my opponents players in multiple tackle zones. If he was going to attack my cage, he was going to have to make several successful block, and dodge attempts to do so.

My opponent got a few of those successful blocks of coarse, and managed to get two of his Ghouls in the path of my cage. While it wasn't that bad, it was enough to hinder the speed of my cage, which would allow him to get other players within range of my cage as well on the next turn if I couldn't move the cage far enough away from the brawl that was taking place nearby.

I opened up with a blitz from one of my cage Blitzers, knocking one of the Ghouls to the ground. My Thrower dodged passed the other Ghoul, and was now in position to score next turn. The remaining Blitzers were then moved up to protect my Thrower, and keep those Ghouls within their tackle zones. Those two Ghouls would each have to dodge out of three tackle zones if they wanted to stop my Thrower from scoring.

My opponent opened up with a few blocks that freed up one of his Wights from any tackle zones. The Ghoul who was in three tackle zones of my Blitzers easily dodge out (of coarse), and moved in front of my Thrower. The Wight then made a successful GFI, and blitzed into my Thrower knocking him down, and a nearby Blitzer failed to catch the Dump-Off pass. Lucky for me, the ball didn't scatter much, and landed at the feet of my three Blitzers. My opponent then moved his second Wight up near my Blitzers, then rolled a Both Down on a Zombie block causing a turnover.

I recovered the ball with my +1 MA Blitzer, and formed up a cage with the other two Blitzers, and a nearby Black Orc, and Lineman. I then managed to knock down both my opponents Mummies as well. Again, I had all my opponents players tied up in tackle zones, so my Blitzer with the ball was safe for now, or at least I thought so!

My opponents amazing luck persisted, and he managed to get a Wight next to my ball carrying Blitzer, then blitzed him with a Ghoul, knocking him to the ground, and the ball scattered right into the hands of the Wight. He threw out some more blocks, but didn't managed any of the injuries he was looking for.

Unfortunately for the Wight with the ball, he was standing next to a Lineman, and Blitzer. My Blitzer quickly knocked the Wight to the ground freeing up the ball. I then blitzed my Lineman into a nearby Skeleton, then moved him into cage position. Another nearby Blitzer grabbed the ball, and moved into the protective cage that was formed by two Blitzers, a Lineman, and a Black Orc. The Black Orc who was part of the cage failed his easy block on the Wight in front of him by rolling Both Down. My Black Orc went down, and the Wight stood standing thanks to his Block skill. My cage now had an opening, fuck me!

My opponent stood up a nearby Mummy, and moved him into the hole in my cage next to my ball carrying Blitzer. He then blitzed a Ghoul into a nearby Blitzer knocking him to the ground. Another Ghoul also moved up next to my ball carrying Blitzer as well. Once more, I was in trouble!

My Troll blitzed into the Mummy next to my ball carrying Blitzer knocking him to the ground. A cage defending Blitzer also knocked the Ghoul to the ground as well. My ball carrying Blitzer was now free of any tackle zones. A Wight that was also in the path of the end zone was quickly knocked to the ground by another one of my Blitzers. I now had a clear path to the end zone! I moved my Blitzer towards the end zone, and made the two GFI's I needed, putting me one square away from tying up the game. For a third time I moved all my players into blocking range of any of the opposition. Once more, if my opponent tried to stop me from scoring he'd have to make some golden blocks, and dodges.

Naturally my opponent made those golden blocks, and dodges! A nearby Ghoul who was on the ground stood up, dodged out of two tackle zones, and made a GFI placing him next to my Blitzer who was about to score (seriously!?!?!?). Then a nearby Wight blitzes out of two tackle zones, and into my Blitzer with the ball, knocking him down, and the ball scatters right into the hands of the Ghoul (fucking really!?!?!?). My opponent then failed a block with a Skeleton against a Black Orc by rolling a Both Down causing a turnover.

I couldn't believe the luck my opponent was having, he had some serious Nuffle blessing going on here. It was now the bottom of turn fourteen, there was no chance I could win the game, but I still had a chance to at least tie the game. I stood up my Blitzer next to the ball carrying Ghoul, then moved two more Blitzers next to the Ghoul. I was knocking that damn ball loose! I then blitzed the Ghoul with my +1 MA Blitzer, knocking him to the ground thanks to Tackle. Unfortunately the fucking ball scatters three times, and finally landed on the opposite side of the damn field past my LoS! I quickly sent my Thrower down field to recover the ball, however his stupid ass failed his GFI causing a turnover.

My opponent moved up a Skeleton with a successful GFI next to my Blitzer, he was clearly going to try to surf my Blitzer near the sideline. A Ghoul who was on the ground next to a Black Orc, stood up, dodged out of the Black Orcs tackle zone, recovered the ball, and then made two GFI's (for fucks sake, lucky much?). He then went for the crowd surf on my Blitzer, but failed when he rolled a Attacker Down.

I had one chance to stop that Ghoul from scoring another touchdown. I surfed a Skeleton, getting a KO (not like it mattered at this point, but crowd surfing players is fun). I then threw a block onto another Skeleton getting a push, this freed up a nearby Lineman to Blitz into the Ghoul, and hopefully stop him from scoring, all he had to do is make one GFI, and get a POW.. So I blitzed into the Ghoul, and of coarse failed my GFI because Nuffle is a fucking asshole.

My opponent then ran the Ghoul into the end zone naturally making the two GFI's he needed bringing the score to 2-0 for the victory as that ended the game.

For those of you that read my blog, I apologize for the swearing, however this game really irritated me (watching the replay as I am writing this blog brought all that irritation right back). While I feel I played a very good game here, the sheer amount of unyielding luck that my opponent had for the entire match was just overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, my opponent played a great game, and he's a fine Blood Bowl player, it's just a tad frustrating when your opponent makes EVERY GFI, and only fails one dodge the entire match.Bah! That's Blood Bowl for you, it's a love/hate relationship.

One good thing did come out of this loss, and that was my Troll gaining a level by getting a kill, and making MVP on his debut game. The obvious choice for skill up was of coarse Guard. With that loss, I was now 3-0-3, and in fourth place in the league.

Current Standings:

1) Sneaky Jerks (Skaven)
2) Bro Elves (Elves)
3) Ashes & Dust (Undead)
4) Orkago Boars (Orcs)
5) Full-Field Press (Ogres)
6) Horn 'n' Scorn (Chaos)
7) Graveyard Hex (Necromantic)
8) Bestigor Freebooters (Chaos)
9) Night Dragonnes (Dark Elves)
10) Flaming Geckos (Lizardmen)

No comments:

Post a Comment